|Mercedes-Benz Vision GLK Freeside concept|
|Parent company||Daimler AG|
Mexico City, Mexico
São Paulo, Brazil
|Class||Compact luxury crossover SUV|
|Body style(s)||4-door SUV|
|Layout||Front engine, rear-wheel drive / four-wheel drive|
|Engine(s)||2.2L CDI I4|
3.2L CDI V6
|Wheelbase||108.5 in (2756 mm)|
|Length||178.2 in (4526 mm)|
|Width||79.4 in (2017 mm)|
|Height||66.9 in (1699 mm)|
The Mercedes-Benz GLK (code name X204) is a compact luxury crossover released as a 2009 model elsewhere and as a 2010 model in North America after its public debut at the 2008 Beijing Auto Show alongside the competing Audi Q5.
On 2008-01-12, actress Kim Cattrall (photos)appeared at a special unveiling ceremony at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, confirming that her Sex and the City character (Samantha Jones) would drive the SUV in the movie version of the popular TV show.
The GLK was presented for the first time in 2008 in Detroit under the form of the Mercedes-Benz Vision GLK Freeside concept.
MBUSA partnered with four tuners to develop custom designs for the newly released GLK for the 2008 SEMA show in Las Vegas. Boulevard Customs, Brabus, RENNtech, Leegendary Motorcar Company were the four tuners that had this unique opportunity to design their vision.
The GLK-Class shares the C-Class (W204) platform, and production plans continued after the demise of the similar Smart Formore.
 Comprehensive restraint system for the best possible occupant protection
In combination with the front and rear deformation zones, the high-strength passenger cell of the GLK-Class provides a highly efficient foundation for the occupant protection systems. The intricate restraint system is capable of offering the greatest possible protection potential. As many as nine airbags are fitted, which are deployed selectively depending on the type of collision and its severity to reduce the forces exerted on the occupants eMercedesBenz said - The all-encompassing approach taken to achieving a high standard of safety evinces itself particularly clearly in the Integral Safety concept, that Mercedes-Benz has once again implemented in the new GLK.
- 2.2 L diesel I4 190 PS (187 hp/140 kW)
- 2996 cc V6 228 hp (171 kW)
- 3498 cc V6 268 hp (201 kW)
- 3.0 L diesel V6 224 PS (221 hp/165 kW)
At launch in Germany, the car was offered in all-wheel drive only, though there has been media speculation of a possible rear-wheel drive only version.
The range at launch comprised:
- GLK 220 CDI - 2.2-Litre-I4 - 190 PS (187 hp/140 kW)
- GLK 280 - 3.0-Litre-V6 - 231 PS (228 hp/170 kW)
- GLK 350 - 3.5-Litre-V6 - 272 PS (268 hp/200 kW)
- GLK 320 CDI - 3.0-Litre-Diesel - 224 PS (221 hp/165 kW)
- Vision GLK FREESIDE: A new character conquers the SUV world - Stuttgart/Detroit, Jan 03, 2008 - Daimler Global Media Site
- An in-depth look with hi-resolution photos of the Four Tuned Mercedes-Benz GLK Models that debuted at The SEMA Show
- The Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class: Active And Passive Safety - eMercedesBenz | The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog
- Official Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class site
- An in depth look at the design, development, tech specs, photo tours and more of the GLK (seven part press release)
- Mercedes gives more info on the 2009 GLK-Class
- Official GLK page on MBUSA.com
« previous — Mercedes-Benz road car timeline, 1980s–present
|Small family car||A||W168||W169|
|Compact executive||C||W201 (190)||W202||W203||W204|