|This article's citation style may be unclear. The references used may be clearer with a different or consistent style of citation, footnoting, or external linking.|
|Mercedes-Benz SLK 350|
|Class||Sports car, Roadster|
|Body style(s)||2-door retractable hardtop|
The Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class is a luxury roadster built by the German manufacturer Mercedes-Benz since 1997. The name was chosen to reflect the company's intentions for the car - that it be Sportlich (sporty), Leicht (light), and Kurz (short). There have been two generations of SLK cars from Mercedes-Benz.
Like its predecessor, the second generation of the vehicle featured a retractable hardtop. Following the trend initiated by the R170 model, by the time the R171 was released, this had become an increasingly common feature in almost every new convertible introduced in the market, especially in Europe.
The SLK was updated in 2004 with a new Formula One-inspired appearance and serious performance; the new model also took design cues from the Mercedes-Benz Vision SLA concept car, presented in 2000. The new R171-platform SLK was again on Car and Driver's Ten Best list for 2005, and it won the Canadian Car of the Year Best New Convertible award. Highlighting its potential appeal to women, New Zealand's Lucire magazine announced it as its 'Car to Be Seen in' for 2005. The current SLK is built in Bremen, Germany.
Models and specifications
|Model||Years||Engine||Power||Kerb Weight (Automatic)|
|SLK200K||2004- 2007||1.8 L M271 L4||120 kW (163 hp DIN)||1390 kg (1415 kg)|
|2008-||1.8 L M271 L4||135 kW (184 hp DIN)|
|SLK280/SLK300||2005-||3.0 L M272 V6||170 kW (231 hp DIN)||1440 kg (1460 kg)|
|SLK350||2004- 2007||3.5 L M272 V6||200 kW (272 hp DIN)||1465 kg (1485 kg)|
|2008-||3.5 L M272 V6||224 kW (305 hp DIN)|
|SLK55 AMG||2004-||5.5 L M113 V8||265 kW (360 hp DIN)||(1540 kg)|
*All specifications with standard equipment.
|Model||Years||0-100 km/h (62 mph)||Top Speed|
|SLK200K||2004- 2007||7.9 seconds*||229 km/h (143 mph)|
|SLK280/SLK300||2005-||6.7 seconds*||250 km/h (155 mph)***|
|SLK350||2004- 2007||5.4 seconds*||250 km/h (155 mph)***|
|SLK55 AMG||2004-||4.3 seconds**||250 km/h (155 mph)***|
*Acceleration time with manual transmission.
**Acceleration time with automatic transmission.
***Electronically limited top speed, limiter only installed on certain cars, though it's supposed to be on all of them, and is supposedly an option you only get with the P30 (030) package. Non-P30 SLK55s have been observed up to 170 mph.
- 6 Speed Manual (SLK 200K, SLK 280, SLK 350)
- AMG bodystyling
- High capacity battery
- COMAND APS control and display system for radio/navigation
- Bi-xenon headlights with headlight washers, auto leveling. (SLK 200K, SLK 280, SLK 350, SLK 55 [adds cornering adjustment])
- CD Changer in glove box (6 disc)
- Alarm system with tow-away protection
- 'Homelink' Garage door opener
- Pre-installation for roof carrier systems
- Basic carrier bars (requires specification at time of ordering, mounting holes need to be drilled at factory as most dealers are not able to do this, though THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO).
- Interior lighting package (standard SLK 350, SLK 55 AMG)
- Asphymetric mirror glass (limited markets)
- THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control
- AirScarf: Heated air directed from the headrest to the back of the neck. (includes fabric draught stop)
- Wood/leather steering wheel/shifter (excluding SLK 55 AMG)
- Parktronic parking aids (front sensors are referred to as Quickpark)
- Rain sensing wipers.
- Tyre pressure loss warning system
- Leather steering wheel and shifter (Excluding SLK 55 AMG)
- Heated windscreen washer
- Heated Seats (standard SLK 55 AMG)
- Lowered sports suspension (only available in conjunction with 17" light alloys and tyre pressure loss warning)
- Sport Package (limited markets, not offered for SLK 55 AMG)
- HK Audio: harmon/kardon LOGIC7 surround sound system
- Fabric draught-stop no longer included with US cars (except with AIRSCARF option)
- Transparent draught stop
- Sirius Satellite Radio (USA only)
- Designo: Special Paint colours and leathers, choices and prices depend on region, US pricing is $8000.
- Power-Folding Side Mirrors (limited markets)
- Handsfree Phone kit
- iPod integration
- Audio input with pre-facelift COMAND
- Post-facelift car's have the Media Interface option
- 8 way Power seats
- Lumbar adjustement (not available on SLK 55)
- Performance Package (AMG 030 Package, only for the SLK 55)
- 'Edit10n' 10 year Anniversary Package (special paint colour, red trim on the interior)
- SLK 55
- 0-62 mph (100 km/h) quoted at 4.9 seconds but individuals have reported times of under 4.3 seconds. (Car & Driver Magazine tested the car and got 0-60 mph of 4.3 seconds.)
- Increased brake capacity. (Pre-2008-model-year cars have 6-piston front calipers with perforated and slotted rotors, and 4-piston rear calipers. Later models have a mix of brakes depending on options and market: either the original 6-piston fronts or the 4-piston fronts from the C55. Mercedes made this change not only to cut costs but also to reduce complaints about brake squeal from customers not used to high performance brakes.)
- Additional engine oil cooler (behind right-hand bumper vents)
- Lowered/stiffened suspension (springs, shocks, sway bars)
- AMG body kit, with distinctive gills in front bumpers
- Chrome-accented fog lights
- Napa leather interior
- Modified AMG 7G-tronic transmission
- Quad exhaust
- Smoked taillights and [CHMSL]
- SLK 55 Sport/030/P30 (an option package on top of the standard SLK 55 AMG)
- Nurburgring suspension
- Improved pads and rotors (currently the only sure way to get the pre-2008 6-piston front brakes and 4-piston rears).
- Carbon fibre interior accents
- 19-inch rims
- Upgraded steering wheel
- delimited top speed (which is actually now standard on all SLK 55s)
As of 2006 AMG has released several new models, but these are not available in all export markets:
- SLK 55 Track Sport
- SLK 55 Asia Cup
- SLK 55 'F1 Safety Car'
- SLK 55 Black Series 
- 400 hp (294 kW), 520 Nm
- Improved exhaust headers and ECU chip
- Fixed carbon fibre roof
- 19-inch forged wheels
- Racing shell seats
- Carbon fibre trunk spoiler
- Carbon fibre door panels
- Front strut brace
- Additional oil coolers for transmission and power-steering oil.
- Carbon fibre front fenders with additional vents
- Either 5-speed or 7-speed automatic available depending on the factory.
SLK Specific Modifications
- Roof controller: Allows roof to be opened and closed by remote and while driving without holding down the button. (Roof can only be operated under 5 MPH from the factory).
- LED lights: License plate lights, signal indicators, etcetera. The Brake lights are already LEDs, but only the Indicators on the Rearview mirror are LEDs.
- CHMSL flasher (Third Brake Light Flasher): Flashes the Center LED light in strobe or pulses.
- Windblocker: car comes with a fabric mesh to put between the roll bars to block the wind in some markets, sold as part of option package in other markets. Mercedes-Benz offers a clip on acrylic glass one as an option/accessory, however there are many other companies offering aftermarket bolt on options.
- Sport air filters: can be ordered from the factory as a special option in some countries, also many aftermarket options available.
A facelift of the R171, with more powerful engines and an updated front splitter was unveiled at the end of 2007. The SLK 200 now produces 135 kW (184 hp DIN) while the SLK 350 is upgraded to produce 224 kW (305 hp DIN). The SLK 280 and SLK 55 AMG engines remain unchanged. The SLK 280 will now be called an SLK 300 in some markets. The new models are expected around July, but can already be ordered. The updated SLK 55 AMG can be recognized by the blacked out portion of the front spoiler. A new Steering assist system is offered in which the gear teeth are cut at increasing frequency at either extreme to physically increase the ratio, rather than using power assist. COMAND APS 2.5 is the new system which uses a hard drive based GPS map.
- Common issues and questions about the SLK - Benzworld.org
- Mercedes-Benz official site - Manufacturer's website
- Official AMG site - AMG website
« previous — Mercedes-Benz road car timeline, 1980s–present
|Small family car||A||W168||W169|
|Compact executive||C||W201 (190)||W202||W203||W204|