|W111 SE Fintail coupe|
|Production||1961 — 1965 |
9,875 built (see text)
|Class||Full-size Luxury car|
|Body style(s)||4-door sedan|
- See Mercedes-Benz S-Class for a complete overview of all S-Class models.
The Mercedes-Benz W112 was the top model in the line of six-cylinder luxury cars built in the mid-1960s. Three models were produced by Mercedes-Benz: the 300SE sedan, coupé, and cabriolet (convertible) from 1961, all using the same 170 PS three liter injected engine made of aluminium. The long wheelbase version of the 300SE sedan was introduced one year later. It is often referred to as 300SEL, similar to later naming conventions, even though the L in its successor 300 SEL (W109)) originally referred to Luftfederung, as it was fitted with air suspension, as all W112 had been. The W112 was offered with four-speed automatic transmission [sans torque-converter; it had a fluid coupling], indicating the manufacturer's growing enthusiasm for the potentially lucrative US market. A manual four-speed box was also available for those preferring a stick-shift system.
The W112 series was supposed to replace the famed W189 Type 300 cars, while still using a body closely related to the lower-end W110 and W111 series. Thus, except for the SL and the ultra-luxury 600, Mercedes offered for some time only one standard body. The W112, which was adorned with a lot of chrome in an effort to set it apart, lasted just a few years as the six-cylinder range was replaced in 1965 by the W108/109.
Despite using the same number, the W112 coupe has no relation to the 1991 Mercedes-Benz C112 experimental mid-engined sportscar.
- 1961–1965 300 SE Sedan (5,202 built))
- 1961–1965 300 SE Coupé (3,127 built, including Cabriolet)
- 1961–1965 300 SE Cabriolet (Convertible) (3,127 built, including Coupé)
- 1962–1965 300 SE long-wheelbase Sedan (1,546 built, often called 300 SEL)
- Oswald, Werner (1. Auflage 2001). Deutsche Autos 1945-1990, Band 4. Stuttgart: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 3-613-02131-5.
- "Mercedes-Benz U.S Models". Hiwaay.net. http://home.hiwaay.net/~gbf/mbmodels.html. Retrieved on December 1.
Mercedes-Benz road car timeline, 1946–1970s — next »
|4-cylinder||Sedan||W136 / W191||W120 / W121||W110||W115||W123|
|6-cylinder||Sedan||W187||W105 / W180 / W128||W111||W114||W123|
|Coupé||W187||W180 / W128|
|Large car||Sedan||W186 / W189||W111||W108 / W109||W116|
|Limousine||W186 / W189||W112||W100 (600)|